Tuesday 3 February 2009

And a pair of Val's knickers.




Back in the mists of time, well last year to be precise I started playing around with some drawings of a little 11ft dinghy, The design developed into what I as least think could be quite a pretty wee thing, for various reasons the project was shelved but not forgotten, and not before I got round to making a wee model. I took some photos at the time but never got round to posting them so in time honoured fashion Here is one I made earlier........................


The design brief I gave myself said that the boat must be self jigging without the need for a building frame. it also must have more than sufficient buoyancy, as it was likely to be a wet sail, so to meet both these requirements I designed it to slot together egg box fashion incorpoating enclosed buoyancy chambers.


Here the buoyancy tank sides slot into the central frame



The forward bulkhead is then added......



Followed by the aft frame, this gives the curve to the side tanks.






The transom goes on next




The thwarts can now be added to help square everything up and add rigidity. I'm not at all sure that all the gubbins forward is really necessary, I was trying to give plenty of support for the mast and foredeck.




I also wanted plenty of dry storage space so that she could be used as a mini camper, the space between the forward bulkheads, under the thwart and sternsheets would be a dry locker with the other spaces and side tanks full of buoyancy foam.


Now she gets turned over and the bottom fitted





Its now easy to see where the planks will go
The plan was to stitch and tape the lowest chine and have a lap joint on the others.







Here's an aft view with the planks added. She has side decks just wide enough to sit out on and would have a curving combing to set off what i think is her jaunty sheer line.






The stem is plumb to keep the LWL as long as possible but I think the final design would have a curved forefoot to help her ride up a beach.

The rig would probably be a balanced lug for simplicity but she might look good with a cheeky bowsprit.
maybe one day.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems like a very promising boat. Are there plans in the works so that others could build it?

Graham Neil said...

Well anonymous, as they say never say never. I did get as far as lofting it out full size but that's as far as it got. I do still have the offsets table and the lofting so who knows.
Thanks for the compliment anyway.